Thursday, August 12, 2010

Salmon Cakes


I woke up at 8:30AM today, and it's been a LOOONNGG time since I've woken up that early on a weekday. I went to a job interview today but it's not as serious as you think. It's for a small project that consists of lots of filing. Not sure if I got the job or not considering the interview was really short...but we'll see. It's not a big deal if I don't get it. He said he will call this weekend to inform those who have been hired.

On a far more important note, yesterday I made salmon cakes. I've made salmon cakes before but the ones I made yesterday were by far the best. Maybe it's because I got some tips from Ina Garten, well not personally of course, I actually went on the foodnetwork website and found her recipe for salmon cakes.  Her show Barefoot Contessa is probably my favorite show of foodnetwork.  Her recipes always seem so flavorful and fresh.   I didn't use her exact recipe because I didn't have all the ingredients, but one major thing I've learned since I've started cooking is that you must learn to adapt in the kitchen.  A major concept that I took from her recipes was sauteing the veggies in some butter before you mix all the ingredients.  Cooking veggies first brings out the sweetness of the vegetables and gives you a much more complex yet flavorful cake.

So here's my version of Salmon Cakes adapted from the fabulous Ina Garten:

Salmon Cakes makes 4 salmon cakes
1 salmon fillet about 6-8 ounces
1/2 cup diced onions
1/3-1/2 cup diced bell peppers
1 heaping T capers, chopped
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t lemon pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
pinch dried parsley
pinch dried dill
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 T butter
fresh basil for garnish
mayo lemon sauce
salt and pepper

Preparation 
Season salmon fillets on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a pan on medium heat.
Add about 1 T of olive oil and fry salmon on each side until just cooked.
Allow to cool then put in fridge.

On the same frying pan, melt the butter then add the chopped onions and bell peppers.  Add the pinch of dried parsley and dill and cook until onions because soft and chopped capers and turn off heat. Put veggies in bowl medium bowl and set aside.

With a fork, flake the cooked and cooled salmon into little pieces.  Add to the bowl of veggies.  Add the cayenne, lemon pepper, garlic powder and chopped capers and mix.  Add the bread crumbs and mix.  Add the egg and mix again.  With your hands form three inch patties and pack tightly.  Allow to sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Mean while, mix 1/3 cup mayo with half a juicy a lemon and some zest.  Stir until smooth. That's your sauce!  So simple and so good (trust me).

When you're ready to fry your salmon cakes, take out the cakes and season the top side with salt and pepper.

On a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil, and fry the side that has been season with salt and pepper first.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Season other side with salt and pepper then carefully flip over and fry other side.  Seasoning the cakes on the outside with salt and pepper gives it a nice crust.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment